All pet-parents want their pet-baby to have the best possible comfortable ambience like good food, a cosy comfy bed, a solid cared routine etc. But, when it comes to their pet’s transportation, it becomes very much stressful to any pet owner. In this entire process you have to keep your pet away from you for a long time.
Though transferring pets across the country or city or to any long distance is really hazardous, yet a few planned steps can ease your pet’s relocation experience.
Gather All the Necessary Documents
The very first step you need to follow before transporting your pet is to gather the necessary paperworks that are important for the transportation procedure. You don’t need any documents if you are just moving to a new house in the same locality. But, if you are planning for a big move to another state, you must have to do proper research to know about the several transportation systems and their policies. Moreover, you have to arrange a road permit for interstate pet transferring. If your pet is specifically equipped with any microchip, you need to have that info papers too.
Set An Appointment with Your Pet’s Veterinarian
Before transporting your pet, it is very essential to take it for a proper health by an accredited veterinarian. Before starting any transportation procedure you should take care of a few steps related to your pet’s health.
- Get a health certificate according to transportation requirements
- Make all the vaccination done before travelling
- Update prescriptions
- Ask the vet how to deal with motion sickness or upset tummy of your pet
- Gather proper medical records signed by a licensed vet
- If it is possible ask your vet for referring a vet in your new place or state.
Stay Strict to Your Pet’s Regular Schedule
This happens with most pets that they get stressed out if the daily routine gets disrupted. However, this is done to gradually introduce the move to them (pets). It is good to start packing one or two weeks before the move so that it’s easier for your pet to get accustomed to the change in its routine.
Make Moving Day Easy
Some pets freak out while boarding. So, here are some road and flight tips you may consider following to make their journey less disruptive:
For road trips, carry a pet bag containing:
- Your pet’s favorite meal
- A first aid kit
- Towels to use in mishaps
- Disposable litter boxes
Comfortable flying tips while traveling with your fondle:
- Always choose direct flights to your destination. It will help you avoid the inconvenience that could be occured during flight transportation. Also, it can keep you away from the hazard of airline delays.
- Try to book the same airline for you and your fondle. So, that you keep in touch with it and inquire about your pet’s boarding and unloading.
- Never transport your brachycephalic animals like Persian cats or Pekingese dogs by cargo holds as it can be fatal for them.
- Always try to ship your pet in a well accommodated flight that will allow you to travel as per your preferred time. For example, in summer, it is better to fly early morning or late evening and in winter you should choose afternoon flights.
- Affix a proper identification and your own address, pick up and drop destination names, your phone number and a temporary travel ID with your pet’s collar. So that you can be contacted in case of any emergency.
- Avoid transporting your pet during holidays or festive periods as those have very much hectic schedules. It can cause restlessness in your pet.
Always label your pet’s crate carefully with exact contact information and travel destination.
You can also book a pet transportation service to ship your pet. They will accomplish all the necessary activities for a perfect shipping. But before booking any pet transport agency, you should research their reliability.
Make Your Pet Get Friendly With Its New Home
Make your pet accustomed to the new home as well as its new environment. Put your pet’s known objects like it’s favourite toys, bowls, litter pots, scratching posts at the same place they were kept in the old place. Such as, keep its bowls in the kitchen just like they were kept at the old place. Also, treat it with some extra care and keep your patience when it gets restless.
Hope this will be useful to prepare your pet before transportation.